How Can I Test My Mental Health?
September 28, 2021 , Agape Treatment Center
Many Factors Contribute To Mental Health Problems
Emotional, psychological, and social well-being are all considered our mental health. Our mental health affects how we think, feel, and act. When stress arises, our mental health determines how we handle it, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and our teenage years through adulthood.
If you experience mental health problems, your thinking, mood, and behavior could be affected throughout your life. Many factors contribute to mental health problems, including:
- Biological factors, such as genes or brain chemistry
- Life experiences, such as trauma or abuse
- Family history of mental health problems
Mental health problems are common but help is available. People with mental health problems can get better and many recover completely. However, those who do take care of their mental health can lead to having a mental illness.
How Can I Analysis My Mental Health?
Those who want to see if they have a mental illness or disorder and may want to test their mental health would have a mental health screening done. A mental health screening is an exam of your emotional health. First, it helps find out if you have a mental illness. Mental illnesses are common. They affect more than half of all Americans at some point in their lives. According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH):
Mental illnesses are common in the United States. Nearly one in five U.S. adults live with a mental illness (51.5 million in 2019). Mental illnesses include many different conditions that vary in degree of severity, ranging from mild to moderate to severe.
What Are Some Common Mental Illnesses?
There are many types of mental illnesses. However, some of the most common illnesses include:
- Depression and mood disorders. These mental disorders are different than normal sadness or grief. They can cause extreme sadness, anger, and/or frustration.
- Anxiety disorders. Anxiety can cause excessive worry or fear in real or imagined situations.
- Eating disorders. These disorders cause obsessive thoughts and behaviors related to food and body image. Eating disorders may cause people to severely limit the amount of food they eat, excessively overeat (binge), or do both.
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) – ADHD is one of the children’s most common mental disorders. It can also continue into adulthood. People with ADHD have trouble paying attention and controlling impulsive behavior.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) – This disorder can happen after you live through a traumatic life event, such as a war or serious accident. As a result, people with PTSD feel stressed and afraid, even long after the danger is over.
- Substance abuse and addictive disorders – These disorders involve excessive use of alcohol or drugs. People with substance abuse disorders are at risk for overdose and death.
- Bipolar disorder was formerly called manic depression. People with bipolar disorder have alternating episodes of mania (extreme highs) and depression.
- Schizophrenia and psychotic disorders – These are among the most serious psychiatric disorders. They can cause people to see, hear, and believe things that aren’t real.
How To Maintain Positive Mental Health?
There are many ways to make sure you are on the right track to maintaining positive mental health. Some ways include:
- Getting professional help if you need it
- Connecting with others
- Staying positive
- Getting physically active
- Helping others
- Getting enough sleep
- Developing coping skills
We Can Help at AGAPE Treatment Center
At the AGAPE Behavioral Healthcare Network, we take mental health issues of all varieties very seriously and provide a safe, nurturing environment where one can learn about the disorders plaguing them from an emotionally unstable life. Our licensed mental health clinicians will fully assess an individual that seems, feels, or has been previously diagnosed with a mental health disorder and meet them exactly where they are in life. GET HELP TODAY!
Agape Treatment Center for substance abuse embraces a universal, unconditional love that transcends, that serves regardless of circumstances. We provide individuals all over the country with the opportunity to achieve the gift of lasting sobriety.